If you want to speed up your metabolism, strengthen your immunity, gain healthier mitochondria and a better mood, make sure to use cold therapy.
„Exposure to low temperatures and icy baths is a popular technique among professional athletes that also offers many health benefits to everyone” - dr Joseph Mercola
Research shows that cold therapy:
- Accelerates fat burning by activating brown fat.
- Strengthens the immune system (cold therapy activates two powerful genetic antioxidant systems: superoxide dismutase and glutathione reductase. The most powerful antioxidants that have the ability to regenerate mitochondria.
- It reduces the markers of inflammation, which is a condition for health, longevity and maintaining high cognitive functions. Cold stress reduces the pro-inflammatory cytokines (interleukin 1, interleukin 6 and TNF-alpha) that initiate inflammation.
- Provides an increase in norepinephrine, which improves mood and concentration as well as has analgesic, anti-inflammatory properties and increases mitochondrial biogenesis.
- Provides an increase in RBM3 cold heat shock proteins produced in the brain, heart, liver and skeletal muscles. RBM3 has regenerative and neuroprotective effects and a greater number of nerve connections in the brain.
- It optimizes the production of sex hormones and increases stress tolerance.
Possible methods of cold therapy:
- Icy showers
- Bathtub full of ice cubes
- Icy baths and sea
- Barefoot walks in winter
The simplest method is a hot shower with an icy one.
Below you will find a detailed description of the procedure on how to take a cold shower effectively:
- Warm up well before taking a shower (you can do 20-30 squats or use the sauna).
- Turn on the water and take a warm shower, just like you always do.
- When you are well warmed up, direct a stream of warm water over your forehead and chest. Then quickly turn the water over to cold water (whatever you can tolerate, of course).
- Stay under the stream for only 10 seconds.
- When pouring cold water over yourself, focus your attention on your breath. You can shout to yourself, but not to wake up your neighbors.
- With each passing day, add 10 seconds of cold shower.
- After a few weeks, you will be able to safely stay under cold water for a few minutes.